Director: Mr. Emsley
Follow Mr. Emsley on twitter and Instagram at @EmsleyMusic
Selection into this group is by audition and director recommendation. The Symphonic Band meets during 5th period each day (12:00 PM – 12:55 PM). Members of this group will have one section rehearsal outside of the school day each week. Each member must attend all sectionals, rehearsals, and concerts. Bands at HPMS MUST take precedence over outside activities such as club sports (i.e. soccer, lacrosse, etc.), cheerleading, dance, etc. Extensive efforts are made to avoid conflicts with athletic commitments in order to minimize conflicts. Additional rehearsal or sectionals may be added throughout the year and will always be communicated in advance.
Symphonic Band Members are:
- Required to prepare for and perform concerts throughout the school year
- Encouraged to participate in the TMEA All-Region Band process (November/December)
- Required to Perform at UIL Concert and Sight-Reading Contest (March)
- Required to Perform at Ensemble Contest (April)
- Highly Encouraged to take Private Lessons
Symphonic Band Section Rehearsal Schedule:
We highly encourage students to take advantage of having a one on one lesson, once a week, with a professional musician. We bring in a professional on each instrument, approved by HPISD, to teach our students one on one. Private lessons are not tutorials, in that they offer benefits beyond what can be learned in the classroom. Some of the benefits of Private instruction are:
- One on one specialized teaching.
- Private lessons minimize frustration with learning an instrument.
- Students can get a specific practice regiment from the private teacher since the teacher will know what works best for the student.
- Students get to learn from a PROFESSIONAL MUSICIAN!! What are the odds that a middle school student takes a private lesson in math from a famous mathematician or get writing lessons from a famous author? Highland Park students are very fortunate to have this resource at their fingertips!
For more information about private lessons, please refer to the “Private Lessons” tab.
You can find a list of required supplies for all Symphonic Band members here.